Monday, August 23, 2010

Show Me Your Scraproom Spaces

Hello Scrappers!

Most of us would love to go out and buy all the latest and greatest in scrapbook furniture and storage pieces, but that is not an option for many of us.  By sharing your spaces, you can inspire others and give them ideas on how to better their spaces!  We would love to hear about great storage pieces you created out of something unexpected.  Or about a great roadside find or bargain you found at Goodwill, Craigslist, yardsale, or some place else that has been added to your scraproom. 

Many of you are like me and budget conscience! Some of you may look at my scraproom space and think I did it all at once. That is not true, I had to build on my space a little at a time as my supplies grew and my budget allowed. When I designed and built my scrapbook workstation, I had already looked for an inexpensive piece of furniture and couldn't find exactly what I needed. That is when I decided to design the workstation. I was convinced this was all I would ever need for all my scrapbook organization. I convinced my husband of how it would blend in nicely with the bedroom furniture and only cost around $300 to $350. It would be perfect!! Let me tell you it was a LOT of hard work and it took hours and hours on the computer designing it.  I also had to figure out how to cut all the pieces with the fewest sheets of MDF possible (3/4" medium density fiberboard). After designing it, it took us over a week of 16 hour days on my part and all my husband after-hours time to build and install it. We are not all that handy at building but we managed to do it. Someone who is handier could have done it in much less time, I am sure! As you can see my supplies did eventually outgrow my workstation and I eventually did take over the whole room. My scrapbook room wasn't done over night, it evolved as my storage needs grew. It took a lot of time and effort to find creative solutions.  If I couldn't find what I was looking for, I built it and I did a lot of painting.

Here is another example of how I have had to learn to think creatively when I was looking for a storage solution for my large punches.  My punch carousel wasn't working for them and would hold only border and small punches (I didn't think that into the plan when building it!). I go to a lot of yard sales and one day I came across this wire rack in photo to left.  I don't even know what it was intended for in the first place but I thought it had potential.  It was $5 and I wasn't sure if it would work for storing my punches so I haggled a bit and got it down to $4 and sure enough it work!  If it hadn't I figured I could sell it in my next yard sale for $4!

Let me say, I have totally enjoy sharing my Scrappy Space with you, but I and all my readers would love even more if you would share your scrapbook rooms, closets and areas you work in. Whether you have a beautiful scrapbook room or still working on trying to organize it, we would love to see what you are up to.

If you are having some organization issues, I and my readers would love to offer some ideas to help you with your spaces.  Send your photos and blog addresses (if you have one) to Shargod@gmail.com and I will post them and let's see what solutions we can come up with. 

There are a few things you can let us know so my readers and I can help you better, for example:

1) What are your problems or storage needs with your current space?  Can you not find things?  Need a solution for paper storage?  Are you looking for an inexpensive solution for a work space?  Can't find a way to organize your stickers?  What ever your problems are let us know.  You can either just ask a question or send photos so we can better help you.

2) What is your budget?  If you have no budget, then it is time to start looking around the house for what you can use or for the free items on Craigslist, or do some dumpster diving!  Possibly your friends and family might be willing to donote a bookshelf or something else to help?  If you have a small budget of say $100-$200, then we can look at inexpensive options for you.

3)  Perhaps you don't even have a space!  There are solutions for that as well, we just have to get creative and find a little nook, or a closet, or a possibly place to put a armoire or small desk to hide all your scrapbook supplies.

4)  Having trouble getting organized?   Many people get so overwhelmed trying to re-organize and don't know what to do.  When I re-organize my space, I work in on one solution at a time, but it still gets pretty messy.  I am the type of organizer that I just keep going until it is all done!  That of course won't work for everyone.  Others of you might have a better solution, that works better for another scrapper's problem.  We all do things differently and what works for me or you might not work for everyone.  I am encouraging comments and input from all of you to help find solutions to each other's storage and organizational issues. 

I am sure there are many other challenges you might have that I have not listed.  Please feel free to bring up any topic related to your own scrapbook challenges.  We are all looking forward to hearing from you! 

Be sure and tell your friends about Sharon's Scrappy Space!

Until next time,
Happy Scrapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment